On October 13, 2015, the city of Los Angeles passed Ordinance #183893, which includes the LA Non-Ductile Reinforced Concrete Ordinance found here: Article 1, Division 95: Mandatory Earthquake Hazard Reduction in Existing Non-Ductile Concrete Buildings.
Los Angeles’ mandatory non-ductile concrete ordinance applies to existing buildings that have the following characteristics:
- Reinforced concrete construction
- Construction permit was applied for prior to January 13, 1977
This ordinance excludes detached single-family dwellings and detached duplexes.
It is estimated that approximately 1,500 buildings in the city of Los Angeles fall within the scope of this ordinance. Even if the building has not been identified by the City, any concrete building with a permit application submitted before January 13, 1977 is subject to the retrofit ordinance.
The city of Los Angeles requires that non-ductile concrete building retrofits adhere to the timeline shown below. The majority of Orders to Comply were issued to building owners during or before January 2018. Once the Order has been received, the subsequent deadlines are initiated. Considering that most orders to comply were issued not later than January 2018, the timeline for compliance with submittal of the City’s NDC Checklist has lapsed.
|BEGIN PROCESS||Order received by building owner|
|3 YEARS AFTER ORDER||Complete and submit the City’s Non-Ductile Concrete Building Checklist, which is required to be completed and signed by a licensed engineer or architect|
|10 YEARS AFTER ORDER||Obtain one of the following:
1. Permit for seismic retrofit of the building in conformance with the NDC Ordinance OR
2. Permit for demolition of the building OR
3. City’s approval of proof that the building was previously retrofitted in conformity with certain older requirements of the Los Angeles Building Code OR
4. City’s approval of proof that the building was previously retrofitted in conformity with the engineering requirements of the NDC Ordinance OR
5. City’s approval of a structural analysis showing that the building in its existing condition meets the engineering requirement of the NDC Ordinance
|25 YEARS AFTER ORDER||Complete one of the following:
1. Construction of the seismic retrofit OR
CONTACTSWiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Phone: (626) 696-4650
City of Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety (LADBS) | LADBS Non-Ductile Concrete Retrofit Unit
201 N. Figueroa Street, Suite 880, Los Angeles, CA, 90012
RELATED INFORMATION FROM WJE.COM
Learn about our Los Angeles office MORE >Offices | Los Angeles
Overview of seismic evaluation process and key areas to examine when considering seismic safety MORE >Webinars | Evaluating the Seismic Safety of Buildings
WJE professionals are experts in seismic performance evaluations that go beyond standard... MORE >Services | Seismic Engineering
Learn about our San Francisco office MORE >Offices | San Francisco